Saturday, May 19, 2012

Castle Zagyg Last Night: How the Hell Did That Happen?

The  players assaulted the goblins in the gatehouse.  They cleared them out in under 10 minutes of game time, in a record-breaking bloody slaughterfest.  Then they did something that surprised me---after killing the "king", the one remaining surrendering goblin was appointed to "king" over all the rest of the goblins, by the players at swordpoint, with the players as his advisers.

After a couple of failed intelligence checks, it was made clear to the new king what the role of "advisers" was in relation to the king, after he was shown the bloody corpse of the old king. 

The new king made a grand proclamation of his new status to the remaining goblins, all words being under two syllables, and after promising the goblins booze and most of the former king's prostitutes, he was celebrated as the new king.  The small group of humans at the outer gates were scared off, and somehow now the players  control, through their goblin king, a chunk of the castle upper works.  How the fuck that happened is a mystery to me.  It was totally unexpected, but that's the way the dice determined it to be, and who am I to argue with the all-knowing dice.

This raises all kinds of complications, as the players are now a threat to the nearby pirate city.  There are also all sorts of potential ramifications as relates to the rest of the inhabitants and power groups of the castle.  This is the stuff of campaigns with regular groups of players, not just a random pickup dungeon crawl.   Since as I have a solid group of four players, with some occasional pickup guys from week to week,  I suggested we make this into a regular campaign for the core group, while allowing any other FLAILSNAILS guys to join in if they want.  Everyone was in agreement and seemed excited at the prospect.

I setup a forum over at my meetup group for this game.  I pay 15 bucks a month for it, and mostly use it for my in person D&D game, so I figured what the hell, may as well maximize its use.  If you want to check out what is going on in either of the campaigns I run, go to http://www.meetup.com/oldschooldnd/

(If anyone wants to use my meetup as a place to host their games, or discussion boards for their games, whether FLAILSNAILS type or in person, feel free to let me know and I will set it up.)

Anyhow, the FLAILSNAILS pickup aspect of the game continues, working alongside and  in conjunction with a regular campaign group.  Who knows which plane the magical Castle Zagyg will bounce around to next.  Somehow I find myself managing an additional regular campaign, with political real world complications, domain management, and all the other extra creative things that go along with a campaign from both sides of the DM screen.  So now I have a regular in person game I DM on Sundays, the Saturday night game Tenkar runs in which I am a player, and this Friday night Zagyg campaign to DM.  I look forward to the challenge, while I shake my head wondering how this happened.  :)

How I handled the conversion from pickup to regular group in relation the FLAILSNAILS thing, is that these guys are clones operating in a parallel universe.  Whatever, right.  Essentially it means that these characters are the same as the FS characters at the time we all decided to go with a campaign, but what they do and get from here on out operates in a different timestream, in other words they won't play these characters in any FS game, while the twin brothers they have in the FS campaign won't be able to play in Castle Zagyg.  The two worlds no longer interact, or affect each other.  What happens in one world doesn't affect the other character in the other world. This will not apply to pickup FLAILSNAILS guys who want to join us every Fridays night.

Anyhow, join us every Friday at 9 mp EST.  It's a great time, and getting better every week!