Sunday, June 27, 2010

Unemployed? Play D&D!

Alright, it may sound insensitive or crass, but it's not meant that way. I've been unemployed and I know how much it sux ass. But here's the thing: tonight I played a game of AD&D with a few people I've never played with before. It was the first game session with a new group. Two of the guys were unemployed, having been laid off, and another was off for the summer, being a school teacher.

You're unemployed, money's tight, you have time off, you have the kids home for the summer, and you can't afford summer camp. Perfect opportunity to introduce the kids to D&D. Or to find a group of former gamers in a like situation. Now, this wouldn't be a target market for WOTC, because they won't spend money. They will likely break out the old books, or maybe download a retroclone. But you have to admit, DnD is a cheap hobby, if you just use the base books and your imagination, as was intended originally, before the hobby turned into an industry that tried to convince you that you needed to buy every single books published to enjoy your game.

I'm not saying it's going to happen. I don't even know how to make it happen, other than to hand out copies of the old Red Box with the unemployment checks. I'm just saying that certain factors are in place, which, if the wind blows in the right direction, could bring more lapsed gamers back to the hobby.